"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just a part of his life. It would be his state of mind." -Jim Slinsky

Monday, April 11, 2011

Mushrooms a' comin'!


I got the opportunity to take off for a bit this past weekend to scout for the first morel mushrooms of the year. I took my wife and mother-in-law out to the local state park to enjoy the nice weather and try our luck.

I have only recently been getting a few reports of folks finding the tasty treasures, so my expectations of finding any were pretty low. When we got to the woods it was apparent that we were still early despite the warm weather trend. May apples, which usually signal mushroom season were just starting to poke out of the ground. We spent a couple hours searching, but without luck. I'd expect with more rain and some consistently warm temps we'll be seeing them soon though. Nonetheless it was nice to get out and enjoy the woods after a long snowy winter.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment